Thursday, March 04, 2010

Chew TV Film Reviews: January 2009 Winner BALL STOP April 2009 THE BAD MOUSE

Again, I found another nostalgic work on my computer, these are the two reviews out of twenty or so that I wrote, but these two won the monthly competition.  they can be found at http://www.chewtv.com/

The audience were young people so I attempted ridiculous prose that would make them laugh, comedy was a prominent part in almost every film made on the site so I felt the necessity to unite the mindframes with my own so that the review could reflect the audience and the subject matter.

January Review:

He had a Ball making this! (I couldn’t resist)

I am not sure if it’s a by-product of delirium form the flu bit I adored this short ‘horror’ comedy. It shows how Pandora’s Box is just too curious not to open, and why you regret it later. After receiving the mysterious box a boy takes out the ball with the word ‘love me’ on it. Confused and busy he just throws it in the bin, a mistake and a half. When he notices the ball has disappeared he promptly gets attacked by a variety of balls. Pearce can definitely take up an acting career, that fall looked completely genuine and was spectacular. The facial expressions spoke louder than words ever could so I am glad Nesbeth didn’t try to force a script in. The directing also earns Nesbeth respect, the cuts slink into one another and the timing, except perhaps being a little slow when the character list the head band, is well paced, a good example being the ping pong scene when it goes from fast to slow for the final attack, like in matrix style. I liked the narrative as it is everything a narrative should be, it gives a definition of the character, he’s a worker, but not a life story as it isn’t needed. It creates tension; where did the box come from? It has conflict; the balls attacking, and best of all daft ending. The ending though could have been better if they circled the narrative and had a reappearance of the original ‘love me’ ball, or at least the words. All in all, a fabulous film that sparks with oddity but won’t leave you scratching your head, something you can enjoy when you want to chill for a couple minutes.

This month we asked Kent Upshon, a Director of Twofour , one of our partners to judge the top review for January and the winner is as follows......
Natalie Venning- For her review of ‘Ball Stop’
Kent wrote:


“Excellent. Most reviewers make the mistake of telling the reader more about themselves than the film they’ve just watched. Not here. This review gives an honest assessment without resorting to glib interpretation. Informative and engaging, the style is of someone genuinely enthused by the content on offer. But best of all, it made me want to watch the film”.

April Review:

The bad mouse: Rodent Rascal and Demise

An animation of a pest in a house that leaves mess everywhere and the emotional consequence on the family when they try to rid themselves of said bad mouse. This animation is presented 2d, with a children’s cartoon style narration; this decision f production works well with the narrative as the juxtaposition of a childish aspect for an audience of teenagers who constantly try to act mature is not patronising but amusing. I really enjoyed this short, the voice kept the steady rhythm expected of a child’s story-telling throughout. I fell in love with the mouse from the start, its stereotypical image is adorable, I expect this was the desired effect as it made all the mischievous acts something to laugh at and think sweet, whereas, when it actually happens, it is a pain and you quickly get out the traps. I like how Sykes gave an assortment of catching devices in the plot as it kept it real, plus the ending of the ‘it’s brain’s came out’ reinforces the true audience in contrast to what the film looks like. I find it very difficult to say something bad about The Bad Mouse, Sykes has been completely constant in the film in relation to target audience and the animation itself so the artistic impression drawing is clearly iconic of what it should be but retains the juvenile not-quite-perfect appearance that is vital for the film. I raise my hat to Mr Sykes on his clever and quite philosophical film, or at least I would if I were wearing a hat, but I am inside and it would give me hat hair. :P


many many more can be found in http://www.chewtv.com/ archives

No comments:

Post a Comment